Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Lead changes.
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniezer
When a horse is on it's left lead, the left front hits after the right front.
Maybe this answers JP's question about which lead a horse is generally on in the turn - left lead but the right front hoof hits the ground first which makes sense from a balance/centrifugal force standpoint - at least to me. I always thought the lead meant which front hoof hits the ground first, an error on my part.
There was a good article in I think Horseplayer Magazine on lead changes a few years ago and I remember it said that Dubai Millenium never changed leads, ran on the same lead the whole race, pretty good horse anyway but I guess he could have been a play against in a North American sharp turned race.
Can't jockey's help or even get a horse to change leads through rein work? Always thought Bailey was good at this. If a horse is getting tired doesn't a lead change provide that extra boost for the run down the lane coming out of the turn?
I think Fat-man's description of a balanced lead change run race is right on, too many lead changes might mean too much disruption in the horse's running momentum. Nice thread.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement