Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #275
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
You get an A for effort. Too bad there was a pause of only one post. Now two.

It's been a long time since I have read "The Gettysburg Address". It is interesting to read again after so many years and what little I know of the events that lead to the Civil War.

Much of the Civil War was fought because of the issue of slavery, but it was probably too much of a political hot potato to mention it. He did say at the end that "this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom..." Is he referring to slaves when he says "new birth of freedom" or am I reading too much into it?

We should all remember the last line, because I don't know if that is as true today as it was in years past -- "...government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
Slavery was a part of the larger issue, which was states rights. The Civil War determined that the federal govt had sovereignty over the states. The feds have since learned that if it doesn't have the rights, it can get it through the power of the purse.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most