Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 12:13 AM   #258
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
So, is it safe to assume Keeneland cash is going into the pools at Belmont?
That's hard to say, Ralph.

In my own case, I'm not betting Keeneland at all. (And by that I mean nothing. Nada. Zilch.)

However, I am betting Belmont - as well as a few other tracks.

But I'm not betting extra money on Belmont or those few other tracks. (Just what I would normally bet given my assessment of the strength of each play relative to total bankroll.)

I also have no way of knowing if other players are doing the same.

Now here's what I do think:

Keeneland announced a takeout increase back in August.

Win Place Show was hiked to 17.50% (the maximum allowed by Kentucky state law.) --This is an increase of 9.375% vs. the previous takeout rate of 16.00%.

Exacta, Double, Trifecta, Superfecta, Pick3, and Pick4 were hiked to 22.00% (again the maximum allowed by Kentucky state law.) --This is an increase of 15.79% vs. the previous takeout rate of 19.00%.

We polled HANA membership. 63% said they wanted a boycott. 28% said no. And 9% said other.

Based on that we organized a boycott.

Fast forward 13 days into their fall 2017 meet - and Keeneland is down more than -9.8M or about -9.11% vs. the first 13 days of their fall 2016 meet.

How much of that -9% is because we announced a boycott -- and how much is simply the market speaking is anyone's guess.

On the surface, at this point in the meet, -9% might not appear to be all that bad for them.

As others have pointed out in this thread -- looking ONLY at last year's numbers to this point in the meet: They are likely revenue neutral right now, or possibly revenue positive. (But if so, not by much.)

But I would argue that putting blinkers on and looking ONLY at last year's numbers to this point in the meet would be a mistake.

Last year at this time:

Keeneland was the big dog on the block among the A tracks. They out-handled both Belmont and Santa Anita. They ranked #1 in market share vs. the other tracks they compete with for handle dollars.

Fast forward to now:

Belmont has replaced Keeneland as the big dog on the block. Belmont now ranks #1 in market share among the tracks competing for handle dollars this fall.

I think this is significant.

Right now Keeneland is losing ground to its competitors.

Keeneland is down -9.8M or about -9.11%

At the same time Keeneland's two primary competitors, Belmont and Santa Anita, are UP a combined total of $20.79M or an average of +12.01%

To my way of thinking:

These are terrible results for Keeneland.

In absolute terms, Keeneland is down roughly -20% from where my gut tells me they would be had they not had a takeout increase.

Let me put that another way:

If Ken Ramsey had appeared as a guest on Billy Koch's radio show to talk about the horses he was sending to Keeneland this fall -- if Keeneland had gone on Billy Koch's show to talk about their mission in advance of their fall meet -- if they had pulled out all the stops like they did opening weekend and stuffed the entry box with an avg of 100 horses each day -- if their COO had appeared on TVG to tout their "successful meet" -- if they had done everything the same -- except for the takeout increase:

I have every reason to believe Keeneland would still be the big dog on the block with the #1 rank in market share -- and their handle to this point in the meet would be 20% higher than it is now.

THAT's what I think.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-23-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most