Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #35
slewis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
That's really an unfair portrayal, and a completely inaccurate statement.

And since day rates outside of New York were mentioned .. just what is the difference in cost for a NY trainer vs. a NJ trainer? And aren't the purses stronger in NY than in NJ? Wouldn't it only make sense that if you're going to play in a bigger pool, you're going to have to pay a bit more to be there??
First of all, my statement is far, far from innaccurate.
Secondly, the day rates posted by others on this forum ($50) I think are the exception rather then rule. Trainers are getting closer to $70 or $75 per day in NJ, and $60 to $70 at most other mid sized tracks.
Scott Lake for example, races at many many tracks. Depending on the tracks, as of the last time I asked him, the day rate was different at each.
I've had horses with Rick Dutrow, and it was not unusual for Rick to ship your horse to Monmouth or Philly Park until the next time he raced in NY, because he didn't have enough stalls. The rate, even though my horse was at Philly Park, was the NY rate.
As far as the trainers costs go... NY is expensive. I hear hay is more expensive here, (although I cant figure why) and general costs of doing business is higher, but NOT to substantiate $100 vs $75.
BTW... I've talked to many owners who race around the country and we've had a laugh over the differences in day rates.
Lastly, IT MAKES NO SENSE (your last comment) that "the purses are higher blah blah , so owners should pay more".
If my horse can compete in NY, if we can win here, we are here.. if not, it's off to MTH, PHL, tampa or FL!!! Case closed.
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)