Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: GOAT creep
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #43
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
...GOAT creep just struck me as funny...
While I agree with your basic premise of GOAT creep, I don't see the humor in it, other than the potential for taunting those who climb on board the GOAT train early, and the horse goes bad.

I would expand the trend of "perception of extremes" to many other aspects of life. If a NBA star scores 50, or an NHL star gets a hat trick, they are the GOAT, at least to the younger viewers and fans of the team. If the stock market goes up or down 1%, it's a "surge" or a "plunge". If a royal gets married, the sermon delivered is the GOAT. If the U.S. intervenes overseas as part of diplomatic policy, the reaction is divided into the "nuke them 'till they glow" and "let's stay the hell out" camps. If a school shooting happens, the same polarization takes place - "get rid of all the guns" or "...from my cold dead fingers", rather than any rational discussion originating from agreed upon common ground.

It's a reflection of society's ills, and does not bode well for any of us.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)