Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: handycapper
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Why don't you write the killer 21st century "program" and lead us out of the dark ages?
Believe me, I am really busy writing real killer 21 century apps (some of them used by hundreds of millions of users) so there is no incentive for me to spend my time in such a small market.

Posting picks and trying to prove my case is something that I find neither challenging nor beneficial; note that when it comes to handicapping I have nothing to sell, I do not have
web site that tries to generate income from horse racing and I have not any type of professional affiliation with the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
This program handycapper isn't some genius bit of coding. Chart parsers have been around in one form or another forever...nothing all that original there.

If someone is in such dire straits that they can't afford data files or the DRF, they probably shouldn't be betting in the first place. Agree?
I do not agree.

This program can be considered innovative (to avoid confusion and misunderstandings please note that I am not saying evolutionary or much less revolutionary) because it proposes a standardization in the collection of open domain data , implements a solution and distributes it as open source code allowing other developers to build on top of it and improve it in various ways as time goes on.

Although it is correct that these data can be purchased, the cost in not negligible for a young data scientist who wants to tests his theories and possibly advance the communal understanding of the game, For example, if this project was allowed to fly, it would had been possible to publish related data to a site like https://www.kaggle.com/, create a competition and have some very bright people running their experiments on it.

Unfortunately the industry is lead by mediocre people with a very myopic view when it comes to innovation and improvements in the overall process.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)