Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #33
Bruddah
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oexplayer68
Well I do this full-time, professionally, or whatever you want to call it, and I do none of what the original poster recommends; i.e. straight wagering or use of computer software. Not saying you can't do it that way, but the tracks I play and the way I bet are not conducive to making large wps bets, as well as the inevitable odds drop on the final click.

Rebates are the real key in my estimation. I am a volume player and have a flat roi, but when you factor in rebates on monthly wagering in the 250K area you are talking about a very large income. Even better, the ADW's love this type of consistent play, so you will be able to command even higher rebates. I play almost exclusively vertical wagers as that is my expertise. To me, this is where both the public and even astute players have the most trouble.

I am relatively young, but I still don't see how anyone with their computer software can outperform what I see with my eye. I am sure there are some pretty sophisticated programs out there, but I am 100% sure I can outperform them the way I play. To each his own though, as certainly Benter's stuff works for him.

One thing that helped me a lot was learning to focus on just a few circuits/tracks. My year is always planned out ahead of time as far as what I will be playing. Of course, wherever I get the best real rebate is where I usually play.

The real key at least for me is wager structuring. I still need to improve in this area, but have made some big strides in the past year. Playing too many combinations has always been my downfall. Tightening it up has led to an increase of a few ROI points.

It always intrigues me when this subject appears. I know most think beating the ponies year in and year out can't be done, but those are probably the same folks who say you can't time the stock market.

The game is very tough right now. There is just little to no dumb money any more, so you are competing against a lot of sharpies. I think the whole key for anyone is to just find their niche and stick to it. Of course, rebates are mandatory, as otherwise you stand little chance of being able to make a decent income.

The young man has it right in my opinion. Playing one track or circuit with a disciplined/ structured approach to vertical wagering is a must. I have followed this approach since 1992 and have been profitable all but two years. One of those years, last year, I could not play because of health issues.

I am a Hobbyist and have been since 1965. However, being a Hobbyist, doesn't preclude one from doing the same things that professionals do. There are thousands of non professional golfers trying to emulate the Pros everyday and many of those play very competitively on their home courses/ circuits.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most