Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Umpires
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Question for those of you who watch baseball on a fairly regular basis. Are umpires as bad as I think on balls and strikes? Based on Pitchcast or Pitch Trax they get the close ones wrong as often as they get them right. I'm talking about pitches that are on the line or near the line high or low or inside or outside.
An example from today's Cubs/Braves game. With Atlanta batting and the count 3 and 2 on the batter, the Cub's pitcher threw a pitch which registered almost entirely (90%) in the lower right hand corner of the Pitchcast box. It was called ball four. The very next inning with the Cubs at bat, the Atlanta pitcher threw a pitch which was completely low and outside the lower right hand corner of the Pitchcast box. It was strike three.

Sometimes a pitch will be called a ball and the next pitch which is superimposed on the first is called a strike. One of those is wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Umps are biased against the Cubs. Their mistakes hurt both teams. I gave the example above because it is the Cubs that I watch, but I am certain every team is affected.
I think some are better than others but too many umps have their own specific strike zone. I do think umpires do a good job on plays at the bases and home plate, but could easily be replaced by Questec for ball/strike calls.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)