Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #73
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I am pretty sure I know more about computerized motion control than 99.999% of the population and then some. You seem to be very adamant about the benefits of autonomous vehicles with no understanding of what can cause catastrophic failures that lead to serious consequences.

Many of the items needed to operate the self driving car function best and have longer lifetimes in clean climate controlled environments, the exact opposite of what they will encounter over the road. Extreme hot, cold, moisture or vibration can cause immediate failure of components. Computer controlled systems don't always just shutdown when something causes a feedback loop to become corrupted, they can cause uncontrolled runaway motion. Also during the testing process these self driving cars are going to get care and maintenance they would never see if they sold to John Q. Public.

I am pretty sure there are plenty of people in here that have had a sensor fail on a car and send a false warning message, like when it tells you you have a flat tire when you don't or your windshield washer fluid is empty when you just filled it? What happens when a sensor controlling the motion of a self driving car fails?
Again, what's your point? Yes, there are engineering challenges. Did I say there weren't?
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)