Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Classy horses are talented, and they have the qualities that are required to run the race on their own terms.

Talent is speed. Running the race on their own terms allows them to fully express their talent.

Class will negatively affect a "cheap" horse by way of adversity.
''

I understand, but what exactly are you saying? I have read (and heard) endless explanations of why "cheap speed folds under pressure." The vast majority of the situations in which that appears to be the case are an illusion. The entry was (often) a one-race wonder that peaked and tailed off after a "good" race. The situation looks entirely different if studied closely, considering the probabilities of improved or declining performance regardless of the class level at which entered.

I have also read (and heard) endless explanations of how "class" manifests itself within a race to enable "higher class" horses to defeat "lower class" horses--while running slower than the "lower class" horses. It is nice in theory, but the reality seems to be based on a very limited sample of remembered events, rather than something that can be defined and quantified. It is like Janus' definition of groupthink--it can only be applied in retrospect.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement