Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #5092
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Professional Bettor

Thanks, Pete...you and many others here are kind, decent people. I think I mentioned previously--my goal was to learn Python or one of the easier code languages, and eventually write my own progs. After one day of book larnin' and tutorials...I quickly realized I hated it. This requires a serious commitment, of which I wasn't capable of. I'm glad I didn't spend a bunch of money on books and supplies. The hell of it is...there is a "Code Boot Camp" just down the freeway, in Berkeley. Across from GGF as a matter of fact.
That would be perfect for me---if not for the tuition fees. They have student dorms. I could stay there during the week and commute home on weekends. Oh well..it's not to be.

I just had a conversation with a young man whose goal is to become a professional horse bettor. He's reading--or read, all the books on the subject of betting the ponies.

Like many others...I had this same dream. I was pretty good at picking horses, yeah I was. It's too bad that isn't all it takes--not by a "longshot". I heard someone (and I really don't mean any disrespect) but this gentleman was posting picks and actually ahead. I did notice he tweaked the rules a little bit, as time went on. Really, that's just human nature.

He commented one day about his winnings...saying "that's a pretty good side-income" or something like that. I had to chuckle because I once said the same thing myself. I had lost my job, and decided to just continue betting horses.

I have a family, mortgage (of which my financial contribution of our marriage was to pay this mortgage every month), and some assorted other bills that popped up, like California real estate taxes, etc. The wife paid everything else.

Suddenly everything was different. I had a bankroll of appx $2,500--I needed $25,000. I went from playing the ponies and having a good ol' time..to being afraid to make a bet, and changing my mind several times. My bankroll was gone in a few weeks. Back in those days, along with a credit card came checks--you could write a check-same as using that physical credit card, for anything.

I was so embarrassed and still delusional about my gambling prospects...I started paying the mortgage with these credit card checks, giving the impression everything was fine.
I don't think I need to continue with this story...the facade had to end. Luckily living in Silicon Valley, your house doubles in value seemingly every 5-6 years--so the equity saved us from ruin.

Picking winners doesn't automatically get you into the "pro" level of horse betting, or any other gambling.

Some of my programs have "BEST BETS" selections. They really don't have to be my Best Bets--just be consistent. Those selections are there for a reason. By themselves, they aren't profitable....but they can be.

Go down to the dollar store, get yourself half-dozen notebooks, pens and pencils, and a couple sharpies. Hopefully you've saved a couple months of Bris files--for research.

Note each horse--not just the winners--and check off what this horse was 1st or 2nd in. I can only go by my Platinum Program with 20 categories--but any program that has stats broken down, will do. Check off the winners categories in red, and non-winners who scored well in any category, in green.
One other thing--note the track. The "alleged" sharp bettors @ Saratoga will bet anything

Stay away from tracks with a large percentage of layoff winners. They won't be a BEST BET...but they win too often at Saratoga, Parx, etc. You'll find which tracks to avoid on your own.

After 100 races or so, look at your chart--you may be surprised at what you can clearly see. Your goal is to find the Best Bets that win! Hopefully you're caught up..and buying one or two data files from your best tracks. Don't spread yourself thin--some days you won't have a bet. I don't bet anything less than 2-1 ML.

If you try this...let your fellow forum members in on your results. It's always better to gather your own info, but is also beneficial to share what you have-

Good Luck

-NCG

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)