Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #60
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsnut View Post
Before the days of OTB and simulcast racing, I bought my first copy of Winner Guide Magazine ($0.50) from the corner newsstand on 4th Avenue and E.23rd street in Manhattan. I was 15 years old at that time and ask the proprietor if he knew where I could place a bet. He directed me to a building in the fur district on W.26th street off of 7th Avenue and said to ask the elevator operator for the 13th floor. When I got into the elevator, I noticed that there was no 13th floor on the panel but there was a 12A which was constantly lit on the elevator panel and was taken there by the operator when I asked for the 13th floor,
When the elevator door opened my door to horse racing opened when I saw the odds sheets for all the tracks pasted on the walls and a small counter where you could place your bets. The whole operation was no bigger then a small utility room which it was before it was transformed to a bookie joint.
Needless to say, I bet my first horse from Winner Guide which paid $20.00+.
I was a believer and was hooked from that time 65 years ago untill the present. The first track I ever visited was the old Jamaica race track.
Parts

Is there a copy of Winners Guide magazine that you have that you scan the pages? No worries if you don't just sounds like a cool thing to have back then in your days!

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)