Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #200
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I dont understand why they cant run on a sloppy track, can you give me the cliff notes?
Not really. I'm not a trackman and am one of the few that has (almost) never paced angrily at the rail and pretended to be. The track has changed in terms of depth, composition, maintenance schedules, and maintenance crew several times in my time here. The thing that has remained consistent is that it just never handles water well.

I could come with oft repeated theories about the base and caliche, but I honestly don't know why it falls apart so easily. You can generally run over it after it rains without any real problems, but the subsequent days it is completely shot after being punched up all day. I imagine if they ripped out the existing architecture and replaced the whole thing and invested a ton of money, it could probably fare better. That isn't going to happen.

Bear in mind also, this is Turf Paradise. The quality of racehorse you're dealing with is inferior to even the quality of horse you tended to see at Turf Paradise just a half-dozen years ago. I'm not going to go to the extreme and categorize the population as a bunch of cripples, but there are plenty of good old horses with problems and never was good horses that aren't overly athletic and hardly poetry in motion. Many of the same jocks that ride here now have ridden here for years and have had plenty of fun riding these eggbeaters and choppy jalopies on good tracks and don't need to find out how well the one that runs around there in his left lead from start to finish is going to handle the slippery ooze. I don't really blame them, but no need to approach the same subject in another thread in the one reserved for cancellations.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)