Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #151
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
....The one thing that I assume might go on with sports betting is profiling of players. Assuming that sports betting is eventually going to be available on line, I am sure these computer analytics will be tracking every play you make will probably know the players tendencies better than the player does and will likely charge them excessive juice on the plays they are more likely going to make. So if the computer has me tracked as say a value player, it may offer me -115 on the value side and -105 on the other side, if it has me pegged as a sharp, it will offer me -115 on the sharp side and -105 on the other side if it has me pegged as a local/favorite team player (tend to bet my hometown teams or certain teams) they will once again probably try to take advantage of this. How well this will go in the the internet/social media era I do not know. Something tells me if a player is consistently paying -115 on his favorite team the book will lose that player to another book that doesn't profile.
Profiling on a macro level might be done to set the initial lines but money will dictate the line movements from there. We are quickly approaching full legalized sports betting where bettors will be able to choose whatever line is best for them. Just like the customers who pay $.40 a gallon more for gas across the street from the station selling at $.40 less, there will be some bettors who will pay up because they don't care or don't know. Right now there is still a little bit of the book controls the customers but that will change to the customers control the book. That's the beauty of open markets, something horse racing doesn't have.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)