Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Hanover1

Rooneys cleaning house?

Details are fuzzy, and I am awaiting a call or 2, but early word has Yonkers Raceway no longer accepting entries from the #1 trainer, Lou Pena, citing the horses are "non competitive". As a private entity, they reserve the right to do so. He has as many wins to date as the following top 4 combined, and publicly admitted he was told to "tone it down" in a recent publication. After a protracted effort to identify any substance abuse, and coming up negative, this is the next move. It comes on top of YR rewriting conditions to exclude certain horses in his charge, but other horsemen where affected as well, and this appears to be the logical move. Many in the industry applaud this move, and are hoping for an industry ban.
I will point out that, as yet, Pena has produced zero positives during his now 2 year tear up the training ranks to the #1 spot. however, many have witnessed way to many aged claimers improve 5+ seconds off lifetime records (usually within 30 days of claim/purchase), something no HOF horseman could ever accomplish with the kind of regularity shown by Pena.
Will update as I can....

Last edited by Hanover1; 07-30-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: sp
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)