Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #104
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
No, no, no. I don't think that. I was using "sticking needles into him" as a synonym for getting drugged.

I'm no vet, and I'm entirely out of my element when discussing horse health care. But I do know what a hangover feels like, and from what I understand, some of these performance enhancing procedures can have after effects that a horse would probably prefer to avoid.
I can promise you that doesn't happen with lasix. Hell some humans use it on a daily basis. A horse gets 20cc's day of the race which now days is every three weeks if they're lucky lol. Even perfectly healthy horses get shots on a regular basis. Every time a horse ships they get antibiotics. I vaccinated my two year olds for flu and rhino once a month. Tube deworming a horse is far more tramatic for a horse than 99% of the stuff they encounter. Getting shoes on can be far more uncomfortable for a horse than getting a simple shot. I have to have blood drawn on a regular basis and I don't even feel the needle. Horses don't have the brain a human has. They don't think about things the way humans do. First of Nov. I had a 1500 lb round bale land flat on top of my lab. I literally had to take the tractor and lift the bale up off of her. Figured she was dead for certain. Lifted the bale up and out she came. She split the end of her humerous bone at the joint. She had surgery couple days later to insert a screw. Which was only $350 I might add, figured it was gonna be ridiculous. Anyway within a few days she was a pain in the ass to even lead out to the bathroom because she felt so good. She went pheasant hunting six weeks later and busted ass all day with zero display of any discomfort. Animals are extremely resilient. Late last summer we bought a new five year old quarter horse mare. She had only a dozen rides on her. My wife is going to get her ready for the granddaughter because she is only 13.5 hands high. She had about ten rides on her and she was going great. Rode her one evening and the next morning she looked out in the pasture and she was acting weird as hell. She went and led her to the barn and she was walking like she was stone cold drunk. Hauled her to the vet. could barely get her out of the trailer. Drew blood and sent it off. Took four days to get the results that she had west nile. even though she was vaccinated. We figured she wouldn't make it. But she was a hell of a fighter. After a week she came around amazingly. Two weeks later she was running around like nuts.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)