Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-06-2024, 09:28 AM   #15
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Now we've got the waiver claim for situations like that. I didn't realize that one of the HISA rules allows for up to TWO waiver claim starts. From Oaklawn's condition book:

HISA Rule 2262 (2263). Waiver Claiming Option
At time of entry into a Claiming Race an Owner or Trainer may opt to declare a Horse ineligible to be claimed provided:
(a) The Horse has not started in 120 days;
(b) The Horse’s last start must have been for a claiming price; and
(c) The Horse is entered for a claiming price equal or greater than the price it last started for
(d) The Horse does not win First Waiver Claim Option. That Horse will be eligible for a second waiver claiming race.
I sure wish they had this when I was there. What this does is give an inexpensive horse a chance to be rested and brought back. The economics were terrible and owners would not have it, to give a 5k-10k horse time. They would sell it for pennies on the dollar and move on. There were plenty that were bought and rehabbed by people but there were just as many or more that were not.

In todays world you can do that AND get eligible for starter handicaps as well if that can be achieved. I assume that but I'm not positive.
I don't know if HISA knew what all they were doing when they added this rule but whoever came up with it did racing and a lot of horses a real service by implementing it.

Great job! I just wish I knew who to thank.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Tuscan Gold VS Catching Freedom