Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey

When does the Daily Racing Form receive the odds from the Tracks?
My assumption is that the DRF has access to track odds once they are published to Equibase, which is the recipient of the final program file from the track, generally sent on the next entry day following the entry day for the line in question.

More simply - you enter Monday for Friday, for example, produce an overnight after the races are drawn on Monday, the program is generated, the odds set then added to the program draft, then the program checked and re-checked, then eventually sent to Equibase the following entry day - in our example, probably on Tuesday morning as they fill Saturday's races.

Quote:
Since the Daily Racing Form is not printed yet, what information package do the morning line odds makers use to evaluate with?
Once the overnight is generated and sent to Equibase following that entry day's draw, DRF begins to generate past performances based on the file Equibase received from the track. Not all that long after a final, generated overnight is sent to Equibase from a track, that day's DRF PP's will appear on their website for download and use in helping set the line. If that goes haywire or something, you can also generate the EQB style past performances or use the program past performances if need be since that is what you are generating during the process anyway.

Quote:
What are the beliefs these odds makers maintain about the public in order to arrive at their conclusions?
I can't speak for anyone else except maybe a handful or so of people that do it/have done it and if I'm understanding correctly, I guess the only real way to answer is just to state that it ultimately is motivated by an intimate knowledge and familiarity with the circuit itself, most importantly the way horses/trainers/jockeys take action and something of an innate way of looking at a pile of these factors on paper and make assumptions about the shape of the betting the way that if handicapping you would look at the same thing and make assumptions about the shape of the race flow or something.

That was a hell of a run-on sentence and rather than break it up into three sentences like I should I'm going to leave it as is for posterity. The closest thing I can come to in my experience in order to give you an actual example that answers that question would be for our small, cheap track at the time, the day of the week was a major consideration. We ran two days on weekends and then the two following week days. Being a small track, our signal was overshadowed on weekends and most of our handle was much lower and more concentrated on-track and in-state simulcast than it was when the signal had vastly less competition on the early weekdays. We handled a lot more those days and so a horse that might have gotten a big $1000 win bet by a big betting owner on weekend card and made his horse 2-5 shows up and does the same thing on a Tuesday when the pools are significantly larger and those types of wagers or wiseguy horses just don't soak the pools the way that they would on a weekend card. Anyway, there's about the only tangible, semi-conscious consideration of the public in the way that you phrased it that I can come up with on two coffees.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)