Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
Teach

Super Bowl LII Prediction

I’ll preface my remarks by saying I’m a longtime Patriots fan (I grew up in a section of Boston called Dorchester). I saw a handful of Patriots games in 1960, their first season in the then fledgling AFL. In those days, the Pats played at various venues throughout the Greater Boston area, including Harvard Stadium. I recall their early quarterbacks: Ed “Butch” Songin (he was also an outstanding hockey player) and Vito “Babe” Parilli. I remember when the then Boston Patriots drafted a running back out of Syracuse University named Gerhard Schwedes. I would later, in the early-1980s, serve as CBS in Boston’s Manager of the New England Patriots radio network.

Yet, having said all that, I’m picking the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl 52. As much as I’d love to say that I believe the Patriots are going win the Super Bowl -- I can’t. I can’t, in good conscience, predict a Patriots victory. Why?

First, I think the Eagles are better team. I’m not saying their coach, Doug Pederson, a back-up quarterback for several teams during his NFL career (he backed up Brett Favre when the Packers beat the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI) is better than Bill Belichick. Yet, I think Pederson has the personnel to come away with the victory.

My contention is that Pederson will be blitzing Tom Brady. I think Pederson will be bringing tremendous pressure. My feeling is: So goes Brady, so goes The Patriots. If Brady is repeatedly flushed out of the pocket and/or sacked, the chances of a Patriots win become greatly diminished. I’m sure that the Eagles defensive coordinator, Jim Schwartz, will come up with all kinds of defensive stunts. I’m also pretty certain that Rob Gronkowski will get double-coverage.

I suppose the “wild card” in all this is the performance of Eagles back-up quarterback Nick Foles. A lot hinges on his performance. Personally, I think he’s going to be equal to the occasion.

I know all this sound like football blasphemy, a “Boston Boy” picking the Eagles. But I have to think with my head, not the emotions of my heart. The last I saw the spread was Patriots – 4.5 to -5. The over-under was: 48.

Let me preface my prediction with this disclaimer: My pick is my own and is based on my personal opinion; it is based solely on my assessment of the personnel on both teams.

Philadelphia Eagles: 42, New England Patriots: 17

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)