Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Religion IV
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #21
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
This is a brief response to Dave's take on "preaching" the gospel. Sharing God's love and plan of redemption with the world was one of Israel's
key roles this chosen covenant nation was supposed to play to the surrounding nations once they entered the Promised Land. But they failed miserably. Instead of becoming a light to all the nations, they joined in their idolatry, breaking their covenant with God.

Jesus finally comes unto the world stage about 2,000 years ago. Jesus became everything the covenant nation of Israel was supposed to become but failed at. In fact, Jesus is the antitype to the nation of Israel in that he perfectly fulfilled Israel's mission. He kept the Law of Moses perfectly. Israel failed miserably.

He willingly became his Father's [suffering] servant to not only Israel but to the nations of the world. But Israel, under the Law of Moses, served no one but their own selfish interests.

Jesus came to be the Light of World, and as this Light taught and preached his Father's revelation (i.e. the Word of God). Jesus, in fact, is so inextricably bound up with the Written Word, that He himself is called The Word and the Living Word.

There are other ways, too, Jesus was the antitype to Israel but perhaps at another time, those could be explored.

Before the risen Christ ascended into heaven, he charged his disciples to go out into the world to preach the gospel and make disciples of all nations. In fact, even before this, Jesus sent out the 12 then the 70 to preach the gospel to the House of Israel, as the precursors to global evangelism.

In the Book of Acts at Pentecost, the disciples immediately began to fulfill the great commission of global evangelism. As Jesus specifically directed them, they began teaching and preaching in Jerusalem, then throughout Judea, into Samaria and indeed eventually to the utter most parts of the earth. In short, preaching and teaching the Gospel is not mere advice or some kind of religious option. It is indeed mandated in scripture. And there is a reason why.

Dave "boasts" that he's a 4.5 pt. Calvinist. I've got him beat. I'm a 5-star Calvinist because it's sound biblical theology. So, how is it that Dave and I see evangelism very differently? I'd say the difference is the Word of God. Dave, by use of his own reason, has reasoned that because God freely and sovereignly chooses who He will save and who He won't, that somehow God's sovereign will in this matter precludes any need for evangelism. At first blush, this has the appearance of sound logic. But sadly, the human logic has become derailed because it's not guided by the "tracks" of the Spirit and the Word of God. If it were, Dave would know that the same God who has decreed the ends from the beginning also decreed the means to those ends.

Rom 10:11-15
11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call upon Him; 13 for "Whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved." 14 How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings of good things!"
NASB
If this is a brief response...then I don't want to see the lengthy one.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)