Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Ax Man
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #39
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
As far as purchase price goes, no contingencies were made for the age of the horse at the time of auction, either. In general, I would presume that a $100K weanling > $100K yearling > $100K 2yo-in-training in terms of expectations.

Not sure what the main impetus was to create these races, but they will not work if the goal is to restrict big barns from running talented horses in them--since when are homebreds considered blue collar? Simpler solutions would have been to: (1) increase the purse of maiden claimers to those of special weights and/or (2) create second-tier special weights with the purse of a maiden claimer.

Spendthrift is not going to risk a homebred half to Beholder in a claimer and probably won't want to run him for a purse of <$30K, either. However, the connections of a $50K 2yo-in-training might recoup some of their expenses despite the risk of a claim if there was a decent purse attached to it or could choose to "protect" their horse while not having to tackle any potential monsters if they thought he might be an overachiever.

Despite all that, it's really a non-existent problem. Seattle Slew, Sea Cadet, Silver Ending, Exaggerator, etc. were modestly priced colts and I don't remember them having to shy away from maiden special weights or have fake races written so they could get a win.
Good point and absolutely true about the price being nice for a weanling can be mediocre for a yearling or 2yo in training. In addition, prices can be severely impacted by vet issues that an astute vet and buyer could see won't be a problem for the horse later on.

When I read about this set of new conditions being carded, I thought it was interesting while also wondering how it came about. I wouldn't think maidens are the ones who need some kind of protection or encouragement to get larger fields.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement