Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #45
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
So you're saying that someone might play a meet on an entirely unknown surface the first year it's offered, and then decide not to play on the same surface the next year. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

If anything, a new surface creates a learning curve, and the amount of handle should increase as handicappers become familiar with the surface. If you invested last year, but not this year, then you really can't blame the surface.

That's just my 2 cents, but I think a lot of players are using the surface as an excuse. (I'm not saying I did any good at KEE myself this year, I did terrible)
No, it was not an unknown surface. And, no, I am not blaming the surface.

Given a preference, I'd have regular old dirt. But as has been stated, AWS is not going to go away, so, I'll pick my spots. And so I've choosen not to play the main track at KEE. Is that a condemnation of AWS? Perhaps. However, I am looking forward to DMR especially if it is the DMR surface of 2008 and not the surface of 2007.

I've always played turf and have found that for the amount of time I have available for handicapping, turf races offers more. I understand racing and pace when it comes to the green stuff. For the AWS at KEE, I found I did not understand it very well. For those that do or find other more traditional approaches to handicapping KEE, that's great. For myself, well, I just try to remember what Dirty Harry says: a man has got to know his limitations.

There is a learning curve for AWS. Perhaps the decline in the handle means a majority of bettors are not very high up the curve.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)