Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #52
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Interesting discussion. I'm on the side that riding turf races like dirt races will lead to a lot of losing rides. Turf racing isn't new. Jockeys of course over do it at times but in general they are riding the right way.

Seems to me the kickback on dirt has a lot to do with this. Also, turf just isn't as tiring as dirt. Horses are rarely running as fast as they could have on turf. The races are far more tactical.
In Prof. Wilkens' study on Equine Bioenergetics he debunks the the traditional method of running grass races slow early since, as he says, "The laws of physics don't disappear just because the surface changes". The greater efficiency of even paced running also applies to humans and even cars where MPG is improved by driving at an even speed. That's why stop and go city traffic driving gets poor mileage compared to even speed highway driving.

How tiring a surface is does not change the effect of improved energy distribution of even paced running. In fact dirt surfaces are more tiring than turf. On dirt there is more slippage, less traction and less energy return. I found this out personally when I worked at Belmont and would sneak onto the sandy dirt track for a late night jog compared to my running on grass when I played soccer. Just look at the faster times for turf races compared to dirt races despite the fact that turf courses have sharper turns that reduce speed and the better horses tend to run in dirt races. The exception is when the turf courses become yielding or heavy after rain when they become very slow.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)