Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #81
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
... the excuses started for all the losses.

1. In the Derby ..
2. In the Belmont ...
3. In the Jim Dandy ...
4. In the Travers...
5. I'm still searching for the excuse in the Gold Cup/Saudi Cup
6. In he OP handicap ..

When you look at his career, you see a very nice horse that was probably best in couple of races he lost, but MY MAIN POINT is that you also see a 3yo that was not progressing much figure-wise if you adjust the races for trip and a horse that couldn't overcome any adversity.
I respect your main point (maturity/improvement as a 4yo, and in general after adversity)

I really don't have a competent opinion there.
I don't necessarily see the game like that. I have to yield to yourself and others(Class, Andy, Cj, etc...), as far the speed figures...

Visually, while he hasn't jumped out as a late bloomer relative to his division, the things you'd expect to see from experience, are evident.

Form recap;
  • Kentucky Derby - was BSing w/ my buddy Paul Stock before the race, and I think we simultaneously said something like "Tacitus- about 3rd or 4th". Exactly where we both had him on tactical-speed/talent/projected-setup, etc..
  • Belmont - He was clearly best. What can I say? He ran the best race and was beaten by a better trip/ride.
  • Jim Dandy - memory not a strong suit, and too lazy to do any more HW on this debate, but didn't Tax run huge that day? Hats-off to team Tax and team Gargan, that was a memorable peak race for a likeable horse. Maybe Tacitus had a chart comment? but my awful memory claims that Tax simply ran a big one.
  • Travers- ? who the hell needs an excuse for a nice effort like that?
  • JCGC - I bet Vino with BOTH FISTS! (albeit, very small sums of cash in each hand ), and I was right, Vino fired a huge effort, and somehow Code of Honor also fired a huge effort, and then the stewards abjectly switched away from their standard procedure during the meet and disallowed herding. If you took Tacitus here you were wrong, and two huge efforts beat him.
  • Saudi Cup - Two huge efforts won (MaximumSteroidity& Midnight Bisou), but I think I only watched a highlight of the stretch. If you picked Tacitus here, you were wrong.
  • Oaklawn Handicap - Looked like a terrible underlay. I made a token bet against Tacitus in the Double and exacta. Awful post, and I wasn't in the camp that he was pointed hard to the race. Somehow he ran 4th. Was impressive and surprised me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This was what I said on the first page of this thread:

He was finding ways to lose races at the class level he was at, while a devoted fanbase kept on making excuses for him. So they dropped him into an easier spot, and he took care of business. I don't see how I was wrong about any of this.
That's kinda the point Dilan.

tough to read into a message-board comment, but you are at best getting close to the silly place, where irrational 'haters' of Tacitus (were they unable, as gamblers, to pick spots during the last 7?) assign some mystical 'aversion to winning' to the horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I just got a private message from Tacitus and he's sick of all of you too.

good one.
some needed comic-relief from those who think Tacitus "finds ways to lose", or that Mr. Buff (rather than being over-the-top, and failing to fire) read the Racing Form and lost because it was in name, a G2 in open-company.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)