Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #38
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Obama agrees on NATO

From the shrieks in much of the British media after Barack Obama’s Nato “free riders” remarks you could be forgiven for thinking the president had gone out of his way in an interview with the Atlantic Monthly to criticise Britain, France and other allies for mishandling the bloody shambles which is now Libya.

A pompous French politician popped up on the airwaves to suggest Obama should look in the mirror. “Obama lays blame for Libya mess on Cameron” thundered the front page of the Times. Surprise, surprise, the long and thoughtful interview, optimistically billed as The Obama Doctrine, wasn’t ALL ABOUT US. It is 20,000 words long and if the offending passages occupy more than 800 of them I’d be amazed. Obama is critical of many people, including the US foreign policy elite and the oil-rich Gulf autocracies.

Obama's criticism of Cameron reveals president's own weaknesses
Read more
Mind you, when it comes to the Nato allies, Obama is right. Sheltering under the big American umbrella since 1945, most Europeans have become comfortably well-off and lazy, more concerned with having a nice time than with the basics of self-defence. The richest undefended empire in history – as I like to call the EU – is facing growing problems on its eastern and southern flanks. Both refugees and related violence press on us from Syria, Iraq, and across north Africa to Morocco, and Europe is making a very poor job of tackling them. Of course, we’re free riding.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-course-he-is

I don't understand the uproar from Americans about our President telling the truth, like Obama did, about the Europeans free riding on the backs of American taxpayers.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)