Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #17
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
Early pace, presser, sustained, closer.... Seems like there are various opinions out there.

Do you base and/or designate running style based on a horse's running position, or go by the lengths (ahead or beaten) at the first call?
Where you designate a running style has pretty much been covered(1st call) and the red tape has been covered by everybody well. I would just add when interpreting that for a horse I would only use races where the horse was competitive. And I would rate that a within 2 length finish of winner.

-Quirin Points-evaluation tends to get caught up in exclusively using recent races. If a horse wins or is competitive routinely when running 1-2l off at 1st call and running 1-2-3 I'm going to declare that horse an E/P7. Regardless of if recency only gives the horse 3-4 points. If recent position contradicts the horses overall running style that entrant's form is likely suspect or is early in a form cycle.

When you are defining these remember, what you are doing is evaluating the competitive personality of the horse, not strictly just creating an objective measure that is a cog in another wheel. I think that the small time needed to do this and to evaluate the very basic pace assumptions(who has competed vs what pace, ala Pizzola) gives as much insight into a race as any handicapping tool. Especially on turf when you are doing direct comparisons of finishing times vs paces faced. Enormous insights.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement