Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-21-2023, 06:39 PM   #57
classhandicapper

I've seen stats on breakdowns at the track level and surface level, but if they don't already, they should be keeping stats that include every horse's entire vet record (drugs, treatments, surgeries etc..) , age and sex, number of career starts, trainer, entire workout record, PPs, surface (s) the horse raced on etc.. and breakdowns.

Everything is data driven these days, but I'm going to guess this industry doesn't have good enough data to find all the patterns that can then be addressed to reduce the number of occurrences.

I remember reading decades ago that working horses fast, long, and often eventually takes a toll on the horse. I've heard trainers say that also. Some of the most successful dirt trainers are known for working their horses fast. Maybe that's a great way to win races in the short term, but not such a great way train long term if you are trying to avoid injuries or horses breaking down prematurely.

There almost has to be some relationship between age and number of starts and a horse accumulating injuries, declining, and breaking down.

If the data was very clear to everyone in the industry and to the public/press, some ways to reduce injuries could be discussed and found.

I have to tell you though, I have centrist and right leaning friends that used to be avid horse racings fans that no longer think the existence of this sport is such a great idea. It's one thing when you are talking about PETA. It's another when you are talking about guys that used to avid horseplayers and fans thinking it's a mess.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-21-2023 at 06:43 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Tuscan Gold VS Catching Freedom