Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
HalvOnHorseracing

In the 80's my brother and I took a week in March to go to TuP. Nice track, pretty backdrop and the kind of races we were used to handicapping. (We also spent weekends at Raton or Cheyenne, but that's another story). Sometimes it would get cold, like 55 degrees and local people would walk around with Arctic coats on.

It used to be a well run track. The Simms Brothers, who bought the track from R.D. Hubbard in 2000, started out well enough with some renovations, but eventually didn't keep up with the expectations of horsemen and the public. The saga of the Simms brothers is also another sad story.

The one thing I thought was great was the horse swimming pool. A trainer that I knew took one of his horses to swim because workouts on the dirt left the horse a little sore. This particular trainer was very good about only putting sound and ready horses in races. I think a lot more tracks should have a horse swimming pool. The get the necessary work without the potential of breaking down. (And no, I don't know if any horses drowned)

What can I say. It's generally not betable these days, but I have some good memories of the track.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)