Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: MENTAL GAME
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy
Has anyone heard of good advice to manage the mental game. When you have success with an method and it runs your bankroll to a new high. Then for some reason you seem to go haywire and start betting tons of different wagers. Things not in your "system" because you get the cant lose mentality from all the success. Then you start to lose, get behind , start chasing and blow your bankroll. I have done this 10 times or more and seen friends do the same.

I think its as hard to defeat as the game itself. Please no silly answers like dont go haywire and bet other races out of boredom. We all know thats impossible and we are all guilty of it.
I hope you don't think that this is a silly answer...because it is something that it took me years to learn.

The most important quality that a horseplayer can have if he hopes to profit in this game, is discipline. Without discipline...even the best handicapper in the world is flirting with financial disaster.

What is discipline?

It is not easy to say what it is...but it is much easier to state what it isn't.

If you change your system or method every time you hit a losing streak...if you cannot accept a losing day at the track without making desperate efforts in order to get even...if you increase your bets when you are losing...if races that looked unplayable at home, suddenly become playable at the track when you are losing...then you don't have the discipline that we are talking about.

And if you are playing with insignificant money whose loss can easily be chalked up to entertainment...that's fine.

But if you are playing for serious money, and you lack discipline...then you are dead.

You just don't know it yet...

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-20-2010 at 06:30 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)