Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by positive4th
I'm a relatively young horseplayer, but have still been doing it for long enough to know how to make some sense of posted workouts in PP's and use them to some advantage.

HOWEVER, this morning (Tuesday) was a new experience for me as I actually attended workouts at Del Mar (walked in and meandered is probably more accurate), and I'm wondering from some that know far more than I - - - when you actually watch works in person, what do you watch and what are you looking for?

I'd love to do it again sometime, but armed with more knowledge to help in the handicapping process. Thanks!
First of all find out exactly WHO is working. Get a place high so you can see the entire work (some start slow and gain speed, others go hell bent from the start) realize these are NOT from a standing start unless they are gate drills. See who works in company and more importantly WHY (is one horse being used to teach something to another, is there new equipment being used, take a guess how far off the rail they are working and approximate the weigh of the exercise rider since many a trainer often work horses these days to get a adequate feel for their action).

A some point on the track (usually the "gap" opening between the barns and the main course) a horse identifier finds out who is working, what barn and how far. Just because they state a distance does not mean that is how far they are going. Sometimes they may take a longer work, sometimes shorter. See how the horse acts: is he sweating, rank, unruly etc.

Realize too that all you are going to discover (just like watching a baseball or basketball team workout) is who is fit and who CAN work out. Don't over-analyze the time since some are out there just for maintenance while others are there to learn a lesson (going inside another, getting used to dirt in their face, seeing how they react to new equipment etc.)
Also realize too, that there are NO DRUG TESTS after workouts

» Advertisement