elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
The Simple Physics that make some bullets more deadly than others

Note the Velocity chapter.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/06/phy...lt-rifles/amp/
Can we not?

I build the things and the loads...

It comes down to mass and velocity yes. However bullets are all designed differently as to when they expand and deliver that energy.

The .223/5.56 is a great middle range round that has been proven to function well at middle distances of 200-400 meters. Mostly because M855 or NATO Green Tip has a penetrator to defeat most light body armor at that range, decellerate the bullet, and allow it to expand and transfer the majority of its energy into the target.

That round is horrible for shooting someone at close range because it's far to fast and simply overpenetrates. So what does the military use for CQB? The SEALs are issued the MP5 chambered in a... you guessed it... 9mm hand gun round because it's slower and more lethal at close range.

If you're really bored I can share with you why my deer AR is in a .450 Bushmaster.

Careful though you might learn something in this post.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-23-2018 at 11:02 PM.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)