Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 06:39 PM   #26
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
As an on-again, off-again resident of the Land of Lincoln, it's my opinion that the Illinois Horseman's Association, or more accurately the ITHA has had a lot to do with the decline of racing in the state. Their greed and ignorance of competing gambling dollars has been present, early and often, in the negotiation of dates and simulcasting signals, and led to a number of us (at least myself) to boycott Illinois racing.

AP is a top-notch facility, but but certainly the AWT surface made it a much tougher bet, and wasn't necessary considering the summertime racing dates. As a player who cut his teeth on Illinois racing back in the 80's at Fairmount, the Quad Cities, Balmoral, Hawthorne, Maywood, Arlington and even the fair circuit, it's amazing to me how far the sport has declined - and at times seemingly pushed down the stairs by quite a few of the insiders.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised - just a reflection of the political machines in the state.

AGREE!!! And the ITHA leadership was quick to cave in all circumstances (like the 2012 signal dispute) and couldn't rally the base!!! Mike Campbell has also been a blowhard mouthpiece who loved being a David versus Goliath. They could've used some real leadership in there and maybe done much better. I know CDI is easy to hate but this is sad, sad, sad --- and maybe could've been prevented.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most