Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
Greyfox

More Teachers is Not the Answer

Obama's idea of 100,000 teachers for Math and Science is all about votes.
Simply stated he wants the backing of Teacher's Unions.

Secondly, the question that Romney raised, as to how far the Federal Government should get involved in Education deserves a lot more discussion.
Yes, on International tests American students do only average when compared with other countries, in spite of the fact that more money per student
($ per student) is higher than most nations.

The solution may not be more teachers.
Oh, I know that good teachers are important in a child's development.
So I won't knock them, except to say that hiring 100,000 more Science and Math teachers offers no assurance that they would all be "good teachers."

Without opening a can of worms here, let me just say that I don't think that hiring 100,000 more teachers will move the students' performances up much higher than are already being recorded.

For the sake of being a "Devil's Advocate" here, let me say that perhaps the way monies are currently distributed in Education need to be re-examined.
For starters, most school systems spend more money on "Special Needs"
children than they do on "Gifted" children.
To a point that is understandable. Some "Special Needs" children are extremely difficult to handle and God Bless those teachers that day in and day out work with them year after year.
Also, "Gifted " children can learn more independently and in general need less of emotional and mental energy from the teachers who work with them.

Having said that, the answer to the mediocre performances on the International tests, will not be solved by adding more teachers (except those teachers proved to be top students themselves once upon a time.)
Perhaps school systems have to look at enhancing the experiences of "Gifted" children, even if it means some reduction in the funding for "Special Needs" children.

For those of you on this board who have "Special Needs" children, I know that sounds heartless. Trust me, I'm not a heartless guy.
But by the same token, perhaps it's time to look at what the schools are investing and doing for "Gifted" kids - Is it enough?

I'd rather see the money that Obama intends to spend on 100,000 more teachers, go directly (in trust) to "Gifted" students for their college education.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement