Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Florence
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 11:27 PM   #147
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
Has anyone heard from this woman -- she posted in this thread as a resident of NC, possibly Raleigh-Durham area? Hope she's okay.

Death total 42 to date, from Florence -- also millions of head of livestock. Hog manure lagoons and coal ash pits have overflowed into water supply. Not a pretty picture.
Hi Lansdale. Thank you so much for your concern!! I'm good and my family, all good as well. I thought I'd seen it all when Floyd came ashore in 1999 but Florence proved much worse. So many people have lost everything!!! Their homes, businesses, every single thing they own! And the flooding continues especially to the southern area of the state and in to S.C. My next door neighbor's daughter and son in law live near Wilmington, their home was destroyed by a tornado. All is lost. At the beaches, on the islands, there was as much as 4 feet of sand washed on to the streets where vacation homes stand with roofs scattered and siding blown away or worse.

It's been heartbreaking to witness the devastation while at the same time, heartwarming to see lineman from all over the country here, working day and night. Seeing people from so many regions, so many organizations as well as the military rushing to help get supplies to the thousands when the roads have been closed....now opened in some areas.

This will not take weeks or months, this will take years of recovery. I keep hearing reports dwelling on the lack of flood insurance by homeowners which is tremendous in cost. Yet, so many of these homes are not in flood plain areas. One doesn't anticipate 3 to 4 feet of rainfall in 48 to 72 hours.

It is all so sad...there are still river cresting reports on the news tonight, just now, as I type this.

I despise Duke Energy and their cool ash ponds that they have failed to clean up and remove, thanks to our governor who had their corporate interest at heart and who lost his re-election bid! The majority of the livestock is in the poorer rural counties to the east. And, yes, the animals have died, and the waste lagoons are a nightmare. A fine Welcome to Big Corporate Farming!

I apologize as I sound fussy, I know, but this is a lot to deal with for so many people. Thank you, again. <3
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement