Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Suffolk downs
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Thanks. That was funny. Suffolk does have some history and the infield is pretty. And from a distance, it has charm.

I would not recommend that anybody visit Suffolk Downs right now. Unless you are race track seasoned. It does have a stench. It looks bad, like it died 10 years ago. You're 100% right.

I've been going since I was a kid, and in my 20's-30's it was a big part of my life. Before the internet or social media, Suffolk was our facebook.

That's where friends from Southie to Somerville all got together. Back in those days, the DRF was sold in just about every store in Boston, and you'd get on the T and half the train had a program in hand.

I'm sentimental about the place. I was unhappy that Portnoy bashed it on TV because there is no need for that. I understand what he said is true.
This is 1000% true and accurate, and reflects my experience as well. I grew up in the area, and before moving west lived in Winthrop where on a very quiet day I could hear the race calls across Belle Isle.

Was a great place that died years ago, and was on life support before that. Kind of like a high school beauty who never took care of herself after turning 30. A waste. A series of iffy ownership in the past coupled with incompetent state government.

That said...if you squint your eyes...it *IS* a semi-seaside track with excellent public transpo access and proximity of a young population and a city with tremendous sports history. Sounds sort of familiar right?
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)