Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Claiming jail
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
ultracapper

No jail in New York. I believe Cali closed their's also. I think jail is a forgotten concept in Washington also.

There used to be a great angle for claimed maidens back in the day of claiming jail. If a maiden went off favored, was beaten, and also claimed, if the horse was brought back at a higher price before the 30 days was up, it was always a solid contender. The claim went in, knowing the horse very well could win, and would have to face winners next. If the claiming trainer had that confidence, and had the stroke of luck in that the horse, favored and expected to win, got beat, he could turn him right back around against maidens, at a higher level, albeit, but fully expecting to face winners and not having to do it, it was quite often a solid bet. I remember horses getting claimed out of M$25,000 in which they went off at 2/1 and got beat, and coming back in a couple weeks at M$32 or even M$40, and paying very healthy win parimutuels. Loved that angle, particularly if it was Sadler, O'Neill, or one of the other real savvy claiming trainers. Almost like a free maiden race that the trainer never expected to have.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)