Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Smile Happy
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #20
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
IMO Zandon was better than Smile Happy in the Risen Star, beat him in the subsequent Blue Grass, and seems to be ready for a peak for Chad Brown. So it's obvious why Zandon is a shorter price than Smile Happy.

However, imo they might be a "little" closer than it looks.

IMO the track was not particularly kind to up close horses Blue Grass day at KEE. It was similar the next day. Smile Happy may have actually been at a disadvantage being closer up and moving first that day. But we know he'll have no trouble being further back and closing if the Derby pace requires it and may get first run on Zandon again.

I'm not saying he will turn the tables, but I'm not sure one deserves to be 3-1 and the other 20-1.
Thought Bluegrass day was a rough day to get a handle on how the dirt races played, especially the routes. Sloppy early, good by the BG. Thought speed in the route race after the BG did well fwiw.

Agree that the m/l shouldn't be that wide apart and think 20-1 is more logical on Smile Happy. Zandon just seems to have another gear and while I like Lanerie as a jockey, and would love to see him get a Derby win, he's just not on the level of Prat.

Last edited by metro; 05-04-2022 at 08:58 AM.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)