Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #81
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Yes, studies prove 90+% of horses bleed. Most presumably not enough to affect their performance noticeably, but bleeding tends to get worse over time, and bleeding severely enough cause permanent scarring of the lungs (which of course makes them bleed worse).

Trainers view this differently. I estimate probably 50% of top trainers use lasix and scope in both training and racing. The other 50% only use lasix in races and scope only if looking for a reason for a poor performance. It’s too expensive to use lasix and scope after all works for the horses at the lower end, since this would total $100 a week just for this and not counting other vet expenses.

I know of no trainer who is really concerned about Lasix.

You made mention that Lasix is only to stop owner bleeding. You maybe meant it snidely, but I don’t think it’s totally untruthful. Imagine if you bought a $40k horse, or a $400k horse, and he’s like Silver Charm. A good horse but a bleeder who is able to be controlled. There was no test for you to determine that he was a bleeder when you bought him, but here’s what you’ve got -a bleeder. Thinking of it non-snidely, how would you feel about there being a simple humane fix but not being able to use it? Would you be happy that this is money flushed? Wouldn’t you prefer an easy fix over your trainer experimenting with herbs and natural dehydration and perhaps other drugs, etc, to try to solve the problem?

There are so many other real issues in racing, real drug cheating, and don’t even get me started on how dirty the sales are, it’s just frustrating that Lasix gets so much ink.
There are different degrees of bleeding, FF.

To say 90% of horses need race day lasix is just not true.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)