Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 03:04 PM   #35
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

YTD Report

Hello everyone,

My poker spreadsheet has been updated and time to give a report of my results thru the end of the 3rd Quarter.

I am basically even (-$0.08/per hour), but like from the previous report, I am only where I am because of such good fortune with High Hands and/or other promotions. Seems like unfavorable variance continues to follow me. Recently I have lost BIG pots after being favored after the flop with the following conditions:

66%-34% favorite --> This obviously happens a significant amount of time.
75%-25% favorite --> This happens sometimes too, but not nearly as often.
86%-14% favorite --> Very unlucky.
92%-8% favorite --> This is brutal.

There were a few more, but they escape my memory at this time. Winning just one or two of these big pots would have significantly changed my results.

Mix in some bad play, and I am not obviously not going to turn things around yet. Unlike previous years, I have in general not been able to put together a few good sessions in a row. Just recently, I finally did so, winning about 6 smaller profit sessions for about $500, only to give back -$400, in my most recent session.

Normally my "goal" is to achieve breakeven or perhaps +$1/$3 per hour on pure poker, then along with various promotions, make it a nice winning year. This year I am definitely not going to breakeven on pure poker results, unless I encounter a very rare "extended" hot streak. Without promotions, I am currently at about -$5.50/hour. A realistic "goal" would be to reduce this to about -$2.50 to -$3.00 per hour by the end of the year.

Thanks for putting up with my rant. I recognize that objective assessment of one's poker, along with a strong measure of mental and emotional toughness, are definitely two qualities necessary for one to achieve winning poker, so I need to soldier on.

A few weeks ago I was on a trip to add a new racetrack to my visit list, and in the process, I was able to play in two poker rooms I have never been to. The first one was the Dakota Dunes (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan), with 1/3 NL CAD, and the other one was the card room at Canterbury Downs, with $2-100 Spread Limit. Four total enjoyable, but losing sessions. Cby has the prettiest poker chips I have ever encountered, especially the $5 chip, which was red with purple, and an outline of a horse. I will post a picture I if ever figure out how to transfer from my phone.

One stop included visits to Assiniboia Downs. Unfortunately the two nearby poker rooms in that area have yet to re-open. In passing a few minutes time I checked out one of the older downtown bowling establishments in Winnipeg. Instead of "10-Pins", they had the Canadian version called "5-Pins". Those interested can check it out on YouTube. I definitely want to try this out the next time I get back to Canada!

Now off to my first poker session to start the 4th Quarter. May your future poker room visits be successful!!
Track Collector is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)