Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-21-2023, 10:23 AM   #12
Teach

Jim Brown Helped Me Get A Teaching Job

Jim Brown helped me get one of my teaching jobs. Mid-1960s. I had recently started my teaching career in one of Boston's high schools. I decided to apply outside Boston area. One of the places I applied was a New York City bedroom-community called Manhasset, a stone’s throw east on Northern Blvd. from borough of Queens. Almost 60-years ago, I think back to time I was interviewed by the then high school principal, Dr. Warren MacGregor. Initially, we talked about educational topics, i.e., How did I hear about Manhasset? etc. A few minutes later, I said, “Didn’t Jim Brown, then playing for the Cleveland Browns, go to Manhasset High School (I knew this because my dad was an SU alum, class of 1940. He took me to all the Boston area football fields where Syracuse was playing, e.g., BU Field (Braves Field), HC’s Fitton Field, etc. No sooner did I mention Brown who had graduated from Manhasset High about ten-years earlier, then Dr. MacGregor regales me with stories about Jim Brown. How he not only played football, but other sports, as well, e.g., lacrosse, basketball, track. About five minutes later, I remember Dr. MacGregor saying, “We have a social studies opening at the junior-senior high school, are you interested?" I said, “Yes.” Dr. MacGregor then said, “Consider yourself hired.” He added, “I’ll send you an application.” I would end up teaching two years at Manhasset Junior-Senior High, 1966-68. Those were two good years. Thank you, Jim Brown. Rest in Peace.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)