Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #6
Overkill

Thanks so much again, Mason, and...

if you don't mind, I still am not clear. Thanks so much for your patience. If you choose not to respond, I will understand. I have previously contacted the HK Jockey Club, but didn't really get a satisfactory reply.

I think you and I had a small miscommunication. My questions nowadays have to do with the pools and not so much converting from HK dollars to US dollars and vice-versa. I apologize for any confusion. And I realize the nature of these intricate topics probably lends itself better to a real-time conversation rather than email.

For the purposes of the following questions, let's just use HK dollars.

I understand a big benefit of Hong Kong racing is the huge size of the pools.

But at what point does betting more on, say, quinellas and trifectas, result in diminishing returns? Please excuse the probably unrealistic nature of the following example. I am choosing extremes to try to make my questions more understandable.

And please don't be offended when I use ALL CAPS. I am not trying to convey that I am yelling. I am just trying to convey emphasis.

a) Let's say I bet $20 Hong Kong on the 3-9 Quinella and $10 Hong Kong on the 3-9-2 Trifecta in the 4th race, and they hit.

b) (By the way, is the base or minimum quinella bet $2.60)?

c) (And is the base or minimum trifecta bet $1.30)?

d) What about when you indicated that one can make $.13 (US) Trifecta bet on a Hong Kong race?

e) (Didn't you say that in Hong Kong they don't allow funny, smaller bets like US tracks do like $.50 US bets, etc. and that $10.00 Hong Kong is the minimum bet? Or did you mean if you are actually IN Hong Kong they don't allow those funny, smaller bets?).

f) (By the way, did you say my example was far fetched because the payout I had hypothetically indicated was unrealistically high?).

Ok, back to the example I began in a) above. Let's say the official payout for the Quinella is listed as $200 Hong Kong, and the official payout for the Trifecta is listed as $1000 Hong Kong. So I, along with the many others with the winning Quinella and Trifecta tickets, collect my winnings. So far, so good.

g) Let's now instead assume I have tons of money, and I had bet $2,000 Hong Kong (instead of $20 Hong Kong) on the 3-9 Quinella and $1,000 (instead of $10 Hong Kong) on the 3-9-2 Trifecta, and they hit.

h) Because I had increased my Quinella wager by a factor of 100, I now collect $200,000 Hong Kong for the winning Quinella, and because I had increased my Trifecta wager also by a factor of 100, I now collect $100,000 Hong Kong for the winning Trifecta, correct?

i) But let's assume the impossible scenario wherein MY Quinella ticket was the ONLY winning Quinella ticket, and let's assume MY Trifecta ticket was the ONLY winning Trifecta ticket. In this impossible (bear with me please) scenario applied to a) above, I will receive more than just $200 Hong Kong for the Quinella (minus the track's take) and more than just $1000 Hong Kong for the Trifecta (minus the track's take) because there is nobody to split the pool with, correct? Or is the pool only comprised of my wagers?

j) When I apply this impossible scenario (wherein my tickets are the only winning tickets) to g) above, won't I receive LESS than if others had also won because I am the sole contributor to the winning pool? In other words, with the impossible scenario I am getting nowhere near proportionally larger (by a factor of 100) payouts when I make the bigger Quinella and Trifecta wagers, correct?

k) If j) above is true, how does one know what the tipping point - the point at which an increase in amount wagered fails to result in a proportional increase in payout - is?

l) Overall, though, it is better to make Quinella wagers on races with bigger Quinella pools and better to make Trifecta wagers on races with bigger Trifecta pools, correct?

m) If l) is true, HOW is it true because though there is more money in the bigger pools, don't you have to split winnings with likely MORE PEOPLE?

I apologize for the wordiness of the post. I am trying to be as clear as possible by attempting to eliminate any guessing on your part as to what I am saying.

If possible, please again reply in the following manner:

a) Xxxxxxx...

b) Xxxxxxx...

c) Xxxxxxx...

Etc.

Last edited by Overkill; 04-26-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)