Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: PCIe SSD
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 02:32 AM   #13
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
As I said before, I can format it, partition it and begin installing to it, from the installation DVD only.
What's running off of the DVD is an OS. It certainly sounds like that OS is seeing/accessing the drive in question.

Quote:
It usually stops when installing files, usually around 271 out of 350 files, and usually when installing kernal files.
Hmmm... not sure why the install would stop then. Did you double-check the size of the formatted partition(s)?

Quote:
Oracle Linux seems to me, to be the perfect choice for a machine used almost exclusively for Oracle database.
Probably, but, to solve this problem, you might want to try to boot a small live OS first and see if it can read and write to the drive. I would recommend Slitaz Linux, TinyCore Linux or Puppy Linux.

Also, you might want to try to install a simpler, smaller Linux distro, such as Antix. The complexity of the big, rpm, systemd distros that you are attempting to install might be hanging up the process.

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Now that I know a bit more about SSD's, I am convinced my 11 year old server cannot handle an NVMe PCIe SSD.
You might worth it double-check the size of the partition(s), and/or try booting/installing a smaller, simpler distro.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)