Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: PCIe SSD
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
It is pretty much a waste of money to try and upgrade a really old PC with the latest and greatest. You won't get anywhere near the rated speed even if you can get it to work, because of the limited pcie lanes available on the computer.

Make sure you have the BIOS updated, check the linux forums for the info on installing Linux on legacy BIOS/UEFI systems. You will probably need to install custom drivers to recognize and format the NVME. Sector size can also be an issue, as some drives will only work with a particular size.

Remove any other drives in the system.

Good luck
That's what I'm thinking now, it's just too old to handle the new drive. The BIOS is the latest available but is from 2012. The new drive is the only one installed and I can see it, format it and partition it during the install. Everything looks good when the files start to load, somewhere around 270 out of 350 files load but then it hangs. Tried it about 6 times with Oracle Linux and CentOS. When I put the old drive back in and boot it up, I can see the SSD as an "unknown" device from the h/w manager but can't access it in any way. Should have gone with a SATA SSD. Thanks.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)