Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-19-2023, 01:33 PM   #113
JohnGalt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I am truly saddened by this.

Golden Gate, just like Bay Meadows before it, had long been one of my 'go to' tracks for betting.

What I'm about to write may sound harsh.

But what I'm about to write is also the truth.

Imo, nobody should be surprised by the announcement.

The dominoes began to fall back in 2010-2011 when handle at California's major thoroughbred tracks cratered in response to the takeout increase mandated by SB1072 - a bill that was vigorously lobbied for by California Horsemen, Track Management, and the California Horse Racing Board.

They never really recovered.

The time for corrective action would have been early on back in 2011 or 2012.

Instead they ignored the root cause of the problem.

Over the years the reduced handle, resulting reduction in track revenue, and resulting reduced money available for purses compounded.

They were forced to cut dates, cut employee hours, announce layoffs, cut purses, and eventually close tracks.

Imo, almost all of the wounds were self inflicted.

And here we are.

-jp
I used to bet California tracks more then 100 days a year and New York tracks (mostly Saratoga) 30 times a year.

I live in Minnesota so the times they raced fit my work schedule. Now that I'm retired, I bet California maybe 15 time a year and New York about 80-100 times a year.

The main reason is I like playing pick sixes and California went to the sucker jackpots and New York re-installed the traditional version, that's where my betting handle goes now.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Tuscan Gold VS Catching Freedom