Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-17-2024, 11:04 AM   #56
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Great article. Thankfully Mr. Repole is involved. That's giant IMO. I believe there is hope for a fantastic gambling game that will bring in a lot of new people and actually retain them as regular daily customers.

i would be careful with that. I did see that he tweeted this on his twitter feed:

Once again we need to respond to this idiot:

You have NO data to support claims that lowering takeout & eliminating rebates works

I have data from thise that did lower takeout (CBY, HAW, etc) that proves lowering takeout does not help handle

“I think” doesn’t work in business

fwiw, I hate twitter. Thus I will never participate on it. I do read it on occasion to keep up with what some people are saying. If this man needs non existent data to understand that rebates/caw and ridiculous takeout are the biggest problems this sports faces he needs to figure things out before declaring himself the savior of the industry. (If CJ or PA want to replace my quote with the tweet, be my guest).

Regarding this tweet. Canterbury and Hawthorne race short meets, like 3 days a week if I am not mistaken, and have really low quality horses (which for the most part are sort of painful to handicap imo). If data instead of common sense is going to be his barometer on how this industry needs to proceed he is pretty useless. JMO. That makes him no different than the industry saying we lowered the takeout in this pool for 2 years from 19% to 17 % and it proved to not work so now we are going to raise it to 21%.

Lowering takeout is not a magic wand. It has to be done across the board, not just in this pool or that pool, it has to be done long term to bring people back in the game or into it for the first time and build their patronage, it has to be dropped to a level that is competitive with other forms of advantage gambling (something like 10% across the board) and it has to be done as part of a very comprehensive marketing/educating the new consumer package. It is not a matter of pressing a button and saying Presto and suddenly your handle triples. Fantasy land or not that is the only way this sport grows. So it time for the people in this industry to start fantasizing.

BTW, I think may not work in this business, but not thinking for over 20 years has certainly destroyed this business. So carry on racing industry. I will see you at the procession. Or maybe charity will keep you alive just long enough so you don't completely die in my lifetime.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.