Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #29
RobinFromIreland

It seems many here are interested in participating but are perhaps unfamiliar with some of the options available to best use this service.

I would strongly recommended those who wish to participate, either to alert the group, or to receive alerts, to download a Twitter client to your Desktop (or smart phone, if supported).

These clients can run minimized in your System Tray (Windows) or Dock (Mac), and give notifications for all messages, @replies and/or direct messages (DMs) based on your client settings that you have chosen. It keeps you signed into Twitter as long as you run it.

For instance, for those that wish to alert others of a potential bridge-jumping situation, you click on the client's icon in the system tray to display it and give it focus, and then you can use the "d username" command shortcut to quickly message the group e.g. (using MakinItHappen's example):

d bridgejumper HWD R8 10 MTP

This will send a direct message to bridgejumper, who in turn, by using GroupTweet, will auto-propagate that message to all other followers of bridgejumper.

Depending on the client you have, you will most likely get a "toaster-like" popup in the bottom right-hand of your screen for a few moments that shows who it's from (bridgejumper) and the content of the message (HWD R8 10 MTP). You may also get an email depending on your Twitter settings.

I would recommend choosing one of the following clients:

Twhirl
Seesmic Desktop
TweetDeck

All of the above clients require Adobe AIR to run. If you don't have it installed, it should auto-install for you when you try to install one of the above clients.

If you have further Twitter questions, contact me on Twitter (@robinhowlett) and I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.
  Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)