Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: TPR numbers
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Some thoughts on TPR.

Since the topic has come up a couple of times this week, I thought I’d add my 2 cents.

TPR = the horse’s early pace plus its third fraction.

For the sake of discussion, assume it is a speed rating, although it reality, it not a true SR because the final fraction is weighted equally to the early pace (Beyer gives and excellent description this in Beyer on Speed in the pace chapter.

The EPR/FFR format tells you a bit about how the figure was earned by energy distribution.

Consider the following horses:

90/80 170
80/90 170
85/85 170

All three are equal as to “speed” but the 90/80 should have a clear lead on most dirt tracks. If these the three best horses in a race, would you give a lot of hop to the 80/90 if there is no other EPR close to the 90? All 170s are not the same.

Now, add this horse, 93/72 165 and he is a need the lead type. He will definitely affect the 90/80 horse in the race. You might not consider him a win contender, but you have to consider him for the pace.

Doc Sartin had a rating he called Factor W, for Win. It’s early pace plus sustained pace. Sustained pace is early plus third fraction, which the same as TPR. So I would calculate FW for each horse like this – EPR+EPR+FFR.

The horses above would look like this:

90+90+80 = 260
80+80+90 = 250
85+85+85 = 255
93+93+72 = 258

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)