Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Teach

I walked out. Straight out the front door. As my late father would say, “Faster than you can say Jack Robinson.” Never to return. Nevermore.

In the late-1980s, I had taken a leave-of-absence from teaching. I had lined up a job as a salesman for a Boston classical music station (what I knew about classical music you could fit on the head of a pin. I thought Beethoven’s “Fifth” was an alcoholic drink).

I recall meeting with the station’s sales manager. I remember telling him that my favorite classical piece was Prokofiev’s “Peter & The Wolf” (It was only one I knew).

At the time, the classical-music radio station sales manager promised me five accounts that the previous salesperson had “left behind”. I thought to myself, “At least I have something to get me started.” I knew, as they used to say, I couldn’t “hit the ground running.” Those accounts would tide me over; that is until I could establish my own accounts, or so I thought.

I come to work the following week, as my father used to say, “bright-eyed and bushy-tailed”. I was ready to embark on my sales career. Yet, what I finds out a short time later would change everything.

Unbeknownst to me, the previous salesperson gave out her accounts to her fellow salespeople (I don’t know if the sales manager had known of this, or whether he even approved; yet, it was a done-deal, a fait accompli). I was shocked to find out that those promised accounts weren’t mine, after all. Hasta la vista, Baby! I walk out.

But how does my failed experience relate to New England Patriots offensive-coordinator, Josh McDaniels? There had to be an offer on table that was proffered by The Krafts that was so good, so lucrative that McDaniels would, at the last moment, tell the Colts he wasn’t accepting their head-coaching job.

I would have to believe that everything was put in writing (from McDaniels’ standpoint, I hope that’s true). That there was a guaranteed salary. Even a penalty clause that stipulates that if McDaniels wasn’t, at some point, named the Patriots head coach, he’d receive “X” amount of dollars in severance pay (if indeed, he were let go).

Some have speculated that this gives the Krafts leverage in dealing with Bill Belichick. That Belichick can’t “hold them over a barrel”.

Yet, in any event, as I think back to my own experience as a would-be “promised accounts” salesman, I’m also reminded of my mother’s words of wisdom: “Get it in writing!”

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement