Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #15
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks View Post
With respect to trusting trainers too much: It's been awhile, and I may be fuzzy on some of the details, but we had a filly at Parx who showed sub 22 speed in her first couple of PA bred MSW races, and then faded. Communication with the trainer was not great, to say the least, and there seemed to be some bad blood developing. Our group tried to smooth it over before any decision was made to move her out of his care, and things seemed like they improved for awhile.

Two days later, I get a notice that she's been entered.

She never raced again, and we removed all of our horses from him thereafter. Hard to convince me the trainer didn't enter her to punish us.
Do you still own, bks? I somewhat remember talking to you too back near 10 years ago...

I only had two times where a horse was entered against our plans. One time was to make a race go, and we would scratch...OK, that's fine but at least let me know so I am not surprised by an entry notification. The other was sticking a horse back in 10 days after a tough beat, I wasn't very happy but trusted their judgement, after all, they saw him everyday. If I remember right, he ran OK.

The vet bills hurt. One of the five trainers I had used during the 3 years believed anything and everything should be treated. There were times where a 5k claimer had a $1,400 bill. One time I showed the bills to a respected, long-time horseman who won at a lifetime 15%, he said most of that stuff was bullsh!t and a little time and training changes could have cured most of it. That made me even more sick and was near the exit for my ownership. I should dig up one of the bills and post some of the stuff here.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most