Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 10:20 PM   #60
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Warmest respect for what you and your wife are doing. But how does MY son ("Little Bear") manage to attend your chess classes?? lol....

Seriously, the asperger's mind is a beautiful thing, linear and direct. But if you should ever be so unfortunate as to choose your own hell, take ANY door but the one labeled "friendless child." Trust me.

Pertaining to chess: I play a good game proceeding basically on talent. But exceptional opponents invariably beat me. When I get time, I do intend to learn, really learn, about chess.

Shane is 25, stands 6'2, and weighs in at 240, btw.
If your son is fit & that big, plz remind me not to anger him... That's a big boy

JMO, online classes are a rip off. Nothing takes the place of over the board instruction

A better alternative for those who already know how to move pieces is to go to lichess.org, learn by diving into puzzles. They aren't as strong as ours (we use Think Like A King software) but they're very good. Also you'll find some master level players there that will humble you. Some do, me. But like tennis, when you play better players it raises your game if the desire is there

Notate your games, see where you won / or lost. Lichess notates for you

In our classes we sometimes replay games from books we have. The greatest 500 games, etc. We go over mistakes, winning moves etc.

But the best chess players from our classes that went on to be highly competitive absolutely dived into puzzles, and were never afraid to lose games to lower level players in class. It was practice. They learned more than 2 openings. Some studied harder than I'd like. Chess to me is like playing a musical instrument. Do it for pleasure and recreation, something you can enjoy until the day you die. Our classes are fun and educational, one without the other & our business model goes down the drain (coronavirus did that already tho)
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)